First, if you don’t know what instacart is, let me explain: It’s an app that allows you to grocery shop at different stores in your area and have someone pick up the items that are on your list and deliver them to your door. I mean, how awesome is this for a busy mom or for one who is too lazy on a Sunday afternoon and would rather watch football? (This girl) This sounds pretty genius, right. Not so much. I’m glad that my first order was free because I don’t think I am going to be using this again.
Here’s what happened:
- I chose the delivery date and time. I picked same day delivery, but was only given the option to have the groceries delivered between 8 and 9 p.m. That’s kinda late, but I figured what the hell, it’s worth it if I don’t have to go to the store myself.
- I “shopped” for the items I needed at my local HEB, but I was limited on the selection. For example, I only needed one avocado, but I only had the option to buy three or more.
- As the delivery time approached, I hadn’t received any updates so I opened the app up to check and get a status. I’m glad I did because I had new delivery time of 9:30 to 10 p.m. I wasn’t okay with that, but I presumed I was all in at this point.
- A LOT of my items were (supposedly) not available. What grocery store doesn’t have yellow onions? Plus, I know which HEB “David the shopper” went to and it’s the big one and they have everything. Because of this, I had to make my own trip to the store the next day to get my missing items.
- Another reason I’m glad I opened the app back up is because all of these items that were seemingly unavailable (I just think “David” wanted to hurry up and get out of there) I either had to choose to replace it with a different option or get a refund. What would have happened if I were doing something else at the time instead of monitoring “David’s” every move and purchase?
There are some good things about this service, though:
- You can choose to have a shopper go to Spec’s and buy alcohol. Woo Hoo!!!
- If the store is out of an item you requested, you can choose to substitute with something else (you are given options) or you can ask for a refund.
- You don’t have to get up off your lazy ass and go to the store.
I am absolutely not saying that every one else has had or will have my same experience, but I know that I won’t be using it again.